Barbecue Chicken Smoked on Offset Pit and Mopped Old School Style.
#barbecuechicken #bbqchicken #howtobbqright
Sometimes you just need a good old Barbecue Chicken fix. This recipe takes me back to those family 4th of July BBQ’s where the grill was slap-full of what seemed like endless pieces of smokey, glazed chicken goodness.
Cooking barbecue chicken is really easy. All you need is a grill or smoker set up for indirect cooking and as much chicken as you want to cook. You can season the chicken however you like. I use my Killer Hogs AP rub mixed with a few other ingredients to create what I call a Chicken Rub (recipe is below).
Once the smoker is running at 275-300 degrees it’s ready to cook. I ran with Post Oak wood on this smoke, but Hickory, Pecan, or Apple are all good choices (use whatever wood you like).
Season the outside of each piece of chicken with the seasoning and get it on the pit. Now comes the fun part…turn on some music, crack a few beers and kick back and barbecue some chicken!
You’ll want to stick around the grill turning the pieces every 30 minutes or so and making sure the grill stays in the 275-300 zone. Don’t freak out if it gets above or below just hang in there.
Every time you open the pit, baste the chicken with the mopping liquid to keep it juicy. I mix Zesty Italian dressing with BBQ Rub, BBQ Sauce, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and water. (recipe below). If you have a favorite mopping concoction, by all means use it!
After a couple hours of flipping and mopping the chicken is ready for the sauce. This is the point where it’s gonna start getting real good! I place a small aluminum pan on the pit beside the chicken and add 1 bottle each of my Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce & Killer Hogs Vinegar Sauce. Let the mixture heat up and it’ll thin out a little.
Use the same mopping brush to baste the sauce over the chicken on both sides and keep on cooking until the chicken is done - 165 in the breast and 175 in the dark meat. I really like the wings, legs, and thighs to creep up closer to 200 internal because they stay tender and juicy.
That’s all there is too making Barbecue Chicken and I hope you invite a crowd of family and friends over to enjoy the experience. BBQ is all about good times and making memories, and a Big Ole’ Barbecue Chicken Plate is special in my life!
Barbecue Chicken Ingredients:
- 24 pcs Chicken (mix of Breast, Legs, Thighs, & Wings)
- 1 cup Chicken Rub *recipe below
- 1/2 gallon BBQ Chicken Mop *recipe below
- 1 bottle Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce
- 1 bottle Killer Hogs Vinegar Sauce
Barbecue Chicken Directions:
1. Prepare offset smoker or any BBQ Grill for indirect cooking at 275 degrees using your favorite wood for smoke flavor (I used Post Oak for this recipe)
2. Season the outside of each piece of chicken with the Chicken Rub - substitute your favorite rub if you like
3. Place the chicken on the smoker and cook until the internal temperature in the breast reach 155 degrees. Turning and basting with the BBQ Chicken Mop* every 30 minutes.
4. Pour the BBQ Sauces into a small aluminum pan and place on the smoker to warm. Once the internal temperature in the breast hit 165 start brushing the sauce on both sides and continue flipping the chicken every 15-30 minutes until the sauce caramelizes on the outside and the internal temperature reach a minimum of 165 in the white meat and 175 in the dark.
5. Remove the BBQ Chicken from the smoker and serve.
Barbecue Chicken Rub
- 1/2 cup Killer Hogs AP
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Onion
- 1 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Barbecue Chicken Mop
- 32oz Water
- 16oz Zesty Italian dressing
- 8oz BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup BBQ Rub
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
Connect With Malcom Reed:
FB - facebook.com/HowToBBQRight/
T - twitter.com/howtobbqright
IG - instagram.com/howtobbqright/
Malcom's Podcast - howtobbqright.com/howtobbqright-podcast/
For Malcom's BBQ Supplies visit - h2qshop.com/
- Barbecue Chicken | HowToBBQRight ( Read More)
- The Best Grilled Chicken - 3 Easy Recipes! | SAM THE COOKING GUY 4K ( Read More)
- Easy Oven Baked BBQ Chicken | Barbecue Sauce Recipe | Baked Chicken Recipe ( Read More)
- Grilled BBQ Chicken On A Gas Grill | Nail Every Barbecue With This Recipe | All Insights Included ( Read More)
- BBQ CHICKEN | ultimate barbecue chicken on the grill! ( Read More)
- How to make BBQ Chicken - Easy Basic BBQ Grilled Chicken ( Read More)
- Oven Baked BBQ Chicken The Right Way| Juicy and Delicious ( Read More)
- The Perfect Grilled Chicken | Tips for Juicy, Tender Chicken on the Grill ( Read More)
- How To Make The Best BBQ Chicken | #MrMakeItHappen #BBQChicken ( Read More)
- How to BBQ Chicken | Recipe ( Read More)
- The Secret to Perfect BBQ Chicken Thighs ( Read More)
- Barbecue Chicken - Easy Barbecue Chicken Recipe ( Read More)
- THE BEST OVEN BAKED BBQ CHICKEN RECIPE! | SERIOUSLY IT'S BOMB! ( Read More)
- How to Make Easy BBQ Chicken in the Oven ~ Basic Barbecue Chicken Recipe ( Read More)
- Grilled BBQ Chicken with Chef John | recteq ( Read More)
- BBQ Baked Chicken Thighs ( Read More)
- How to Make Perfect BBQ Chicken Every Time | Recipes by Masterchef • Taste Show ( Read More)
- One Of The Jamaicans Top 10 Bbq Chicken Recipe & Video Ever | Recipes By Chef Ricardo ( Read More)
- Easy Char Siew Chicken Roast | Chinese style red honey bbq chicken ( Read More)