Aloha everybody and welcome to my channel! I'm Thomas but everyone calls me TK. Today we are smashing out a huge comfort food from back home in Hawaii. SHOYU CHICKEN!!! It's something every family back home makes and has their own way of making it but it's all basically made from the same basic ingredients...Soy sauce, Garlic, and Ginger... If you made it this far you already know what time it is...SHOYU CHICKEN TIME! Feel free to change the recipe up a bit and use a different type of sugar like regular white sugar. Or your favorite vinegar or soy sauce that you love!!! Regardless if you rock the recipe I give you or you adjust, always taste before putting the raw meats in and also.. HAVE FUN!!!
Feel free to tweak the recipe and play around a bit its very forgiving and simple...Big Winner!!!
WHENEVER YOU COOK. ALWAYS TASTE!
SHOYU CHICKEN RECIPE: (For 5-6ish lbs) I made 10!
• 5-6ish LB Bone-in Skin-on Chicken Thighs
• 2 1/2- 3 Cups Aloha or any other soy sauce (preferably low sodium Aloha Shoyu)
• 1-2 Cup Chicken broth
• 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 4-5 Tablespoons any kind of vinegar. (I used white)
• 1 1/2 - 2 Cup white or brown sugar
• For me a 4 inch piece of peeled Ginger (about 1 oz) or more.
Take note - if you aren't huge on or are new to Ginger. Use less if needed. If you love Ginger....Jam dat🤙🤙🤙
• Garlic (About half bulb) also at your discretion.
Optional but I suggest 1/4 cup Seasoned Mirin or some Honey!!!
SAUCE: Prep first!
Peel Ginger with a spoon. Grab spoon by the neck 🤣 with thumb to the back of the spoon and scrape skin off with the side edge of spoon in a downward motion.
Combine all wet ingredients, dry ingredients, and then the ginger and garlic. Put in big pot and put on low to start melding those flavors.
DO NOT BE AFRAID TO TASTE!!! IF THE FLAVOR IS TOO MUCH ADD WATER!!! ALSO REMEMBER FLAVORS GET STRONGER IN END WHEN YOU THICKEN SAUCE!!!
Lightly season with salt and pepper.
Oil frying pan lightly.
Sear chicken. (Optional) if you decide to do this its great to make a crust first. Usually people skip this step. But I did it a bit in the video just a enough to render some of the fat off to give the chicken a bit better texture and flavor!
Don't cook all the way through. Just enough to crispy up the skin or burn some fat off!!!
When the Chicken is done being seared put it in the pot with the sauce.
Then bring to a boil!
Once it's at a boil reduce to simmer for at least 40-45 min.
It can go to an hour no problem...the longer and lower the temp makes even more the flavor soak in...
Once chicken is cooked tranfer to another pan so you can strain the sauce if you want. Also so you don't accidentally shred the chicken while thickening the sauce. If you like to shred your chicken..maybe try shredding it!!! Its how alot of families make it back home!
To thicken sauce make flour slurry.
1 to 1 equal parts flour and water
Put water first in bowl before the flour to ensure no clumps.
Stir the slurry.
Get the sauce back up to a rolling boil then dump in the slurry...
Stir well then reduce heat till to sauce reaches desired thickness.
Add the chickem back in and make your plates....serve always with some white rice!!!! ENJOY!!!!
This recipe is very EASY FUN AND VERSITILE!!! So enjoy have fun and stay full friends!!!
ALOHA AND MAHALO EVERYBODY!!! MUCH LOVE🤙🤙🤙
FOLLOW • SUBSCRIBE • LIKE
INSTAGRAM FOLLOW ME: instagram.com/steaksandtingz/
- SHOYU CHICKEN...HOW TO MAKE SHOYU CHICKEN!!! HAWAII COMFORT FOOD!!! ( Read More)
- How to Make Hawaii's Best Fried Garlic Furikake Chicken ( Read More)
- HULI HULI CHICKEN | Hawaii’s Famous Grilled Chicken ( Read More)
- Hawaii Chicken ( Read More)
- Chicken Hawaii Pineapple Recipe ( Read More)
- Guy Fieri Tries Hawaiian Garlic Furikake Chicken | Diners, Drive-ins and Dives | Food Network ( Read More)
- Sticky Pineapple Chicken ( Read More)
- Gordon Ramsay Tries Hawaii's Famous 'Huli-Huli Chicken' | Gordon Ramsay: Uncharted ( Read More)
- Huli Huli Chicken at Ray's Kiawe Broiled Chicken in Haleiwa, Hawaii ( Read More)
- What a Hawaii dietitian eats for dinner #shorts ( Read More)
- Hawaiian Chicken ( Read More)
- BEST Huli Chicken | Local Grindz | KAUAI HAWAII Vacation Tips ( Read More)
- Hawaii Local Style Chicken Hekka ( Read More)
- How to Make Garlic Chicken (Hawaii Style) ( Read More)
- Hawaiian Chicken ( Read More)
- the BEST huli huli chicken and ribs in Maui! | HAWAII ( Read More)
- PINEAPPLE INFUSED CHICKEN | PINEAPPLE GLAZED GARLIC CHICKEN WHOLE | CHICKEN HAWAII PINEAPPLE RECIPE ( Read More)
- Chicken Papaya - Pineapple Top Hawaii ( Read More)
- Jet Tila's General Tso’s Chicken | In the Kitchen with Jet Tila | Food Network ( Read More)